Open University Malaysia (OUM) is a University founded in August 2000 by Multimedia Technology Enhancement Operations Sdn. Bhd. (METEOR), a consortium of 11 public Universities in Malaysia, in response to the invitation by the Minister of Education to set up an open university. Its official launch on 26 August 2002 was graced by the Prime Minister of Malaysia then, YAB Dato’ Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad. OUM adopts the motto, ‘University for all’, as she believes in the democratisation of education; giving everyone a chance at self-actualisation and fulfilling their potential. Though OUM is relatively young as compared to many other Universities, the numerous internationally recognised prestigious awards that it has won over the past years has shown its tremendous growth and its status as a reputable University in Malaysia. Some of the awards are:
- E-learning Recognition Award by Eszterhazy Karoly College, Hungary
- Technology Business Review Award for Excellence in Education Management- Provision of Continuous Education
- Best Paper Award at the 20th Asian Association of Open Universities, Kunming, China
- Awards of Excellence for Institutional Achievement in Distance Education
- Asia HRD Congress 2009 Award (Contribution to the organisation)
In addition, within this short period of time, OUM has set up multiple learning centres in various locations, further proving its identity as an established University.
Institute of Professional Development- Open University Malaysia (IPD-OUM) is officially established by OUM to provide specialised programs dedicated to working professionals to enhance their competencies and add value to their career in this increasingly competitive working environment.
Some of the many dynamic organisations that have benefited from IPD-OUM programs are AEON group, Panasonic Malaysia and Samsung.